Are you a runner and always on the lookout for your next big race? We know just the event for you. Called “One of the toughest races in America,” the Hogpen Hill Climb is set for Jan. 14, 2017. This annual race at Unicoi State Park in Helen, Georgia, features an 18K run and a 5K Piglet race that loops around Unicoi Lake. This race offers a challenging course with incredible views and is a perfect way to spend a day in the North Georgia mountains.
After experiencing the Hogpen Hill Climb 2017, you’ll probably be ready for a delicious meal! Check out a list of local eateries in our Vacation Guide. It’s full of our top suggestions for dining, shopping, activities and more!
History of the Hogpen Hill Climb
Hogpen Hill Climb gets its name because it ends at the Appalachian Trail crossing at Hogpen Gap. The race’s highest elevation is 3,599 feet with a total ascent of 1,939 feet! Around the 10th mile, runners gain more than 2,000 feet of elevation.
Unicoi State Park is a beautiful setting for the race. The park is part of 1,050 acres of Chattahoochee National Forest and located just a few minutes from the Alpine village of Helen, Georgia. Known as one of the state’s most popular parks, Unicoi State Park offers scenic trails for hiking and mountain biking. Hikers can take a three-mile walk to Helen or the 12-mile trail through the park. For mountain bikers, the park features a single track, eight-mile trail. In the center of the park is 53-acre Unicoi Lake on Smith Creek where visitors come to fish, canoe, and swim.
Hogpen Hill and Habitat for Humanity
The Hogpen Hill Climb race helps to support Habitat for Humanity. The proceeds raised from the race go toward building houses for families in Northeast Georgia. By constructing and renovating local homes with help from volunteers and supporters, Habitat for Humanity of Northeast Georgia works to provide safe and durable places to live. All of the race’s sponsors and participants are helping change the lives of local families.
Ready to take on the 38th annual Hogpen Hill Climb? Here’s everything you need to know about the race:
- Early registration ends on Thursday, Jan. 7, 2017, at 11:59 PM.
- All online registration ends Thursday, Jan. 11, 2017, at 11:59 PM.
- Registration and Check-in are Saturday, Jan. 14, 2017, at 8 AM.
- All pre-registered runners are guaranteed an event T-shirt.
- 5K Piglet race starts at 9:30 AM.
- 18K race starts at 11 AM.
- Awards include overall male and female of each race +3 finishers of each age group.
- Post race awards ceremony takes place after the 18K and 5K at the Unicoi State Park beach house.
- Check out a map of the run.
- Bicycle Shuttle to 18K Finish Line for $15 per bicycle.
- There is a Georgia State $5 park fee.
- Discounts for early registration and student runners.
- Sponsorships are available.
- More questions? Call the Habitat for Humanity office at 706-754-5313 x201.
The Hogpen Hill Climb is the perfect way to start off the new year and an even better way to give back to the community. Be sure to register now for the discounted fee!
Stay at Pinnacle Cabin Rentals During the Hogpen Hill Climb
Come back to a beautiful, secluded vacation rental to relax and rejuvenate after finishing one of the toughest races in the nation. Browse our selection of 35 charming mountain cabins and find the one that is perfect just for you. Whether you are looking for picturesque mountain views, a lakefront paradise, or even an accommodation with a private sauna, we have it all! Reserve your favorite rental today and download our free Helen, GA Vacation Guide for more activities and attractions in the area.
Photo Credit: dolgachov/Getty Images